In previous classes we have discussed that there are two modes in which freaks are presented in: the exotic mode and the aggrandized mode. I have noticed that all of the works we have analyzed so far represent freaks in the aggrandized mode. Dunn, Carter and the movie Freaks emphasize that their freaky characters have the feelings and needs of normal people. By presenting freaks in this they go against popular stereotypes that freaks are lesser and/or evil people. After reading the article on Freaks I realized that I have fallen victim to fearing, or atleast feeling very uncomfortable around those who are freaky. I do not see freaks in the aggrandized mode, I see them in the exotic mode: as lesser. I was forced to ask myself why I feel this way? Whenever I try and find the foundation for my beliefs I go back to my childhood. One huge part of my childhood was Disney movies and fairy tales. After reviewing some of my favourite Disney movies I realized that almost all of the antagonists were either disfigured or very ugly. There's the evil which from Snow White, Ursula from the Little Mermaid, Scar from the Lion King, Jafar from Alladin, Cruella De Ville from 101 Dalmations... and the list goes on. Villains are rarely represented as attractive and normal looking. I do not blame my entire prejudice against freaks solely on Disney movies but I have no doubt that my discomfort with those who are different stems from associating ugliness with evil. Its comforting to know that in recent years there as been a reversal of this trend with movies, such as Shrek, that tell the audience that we should not judge a book by its cover and not assume those who are ugly and disfigured are evil.
It is not a proud thing to admit that I stereotype those who are freaky, but I wonder if it is just as taboo as admitting one is rascist or sexist? Is it more acceptable to stereotype freaks? In several of my grade school classes I was taught that stereotyping can be hurtful and that judging someone based on there appearance is wrong. These lessons were always followed up with examples of not stereotyping people because of race, gender, age, sexuality or disability. But what about someone who, like the twins from Geek Love , are just plain freaky looking? They do not really fall under any category, they're just different. When it comes down to it stereotyping those who are different is wrong but then another grey area comes into play because what is defined as being different? There are two types of different as well, those who are born different and those who make themselves different. I personally think that people do think it is more acceptable to stereotype at least the freaks who choose to be freaks. We have been taught that it is more socially unacceptable to stereotype people who are born a certain way, but in a society where appearance is heavily scutinized people feel more open to stereotype people who altered their appearance to become freaky. A person who get plastic surgery to make themselves look like a cat is not really that different than a woman who gets a boob job and dyes her hair blonde. Both have altered their appearance to images that are susceptible to certain stereotypes and therefore they should accept the consequences of those stereotypes since they chose to become that way. Of course it would be better if people did not stereotype at all, but it almost cannot be helped. We need stereotypes to function, the world would be too complicated without them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Disney movies and happy fairy tales definitely contribute to how we view the deformed or disfigured as "other" and the pretty as good and perfect. Even in The Wizard of Oz (or the book/musical Wicked), the coloured witch is initially seen as "evil" and the white witch as "good" (although in the musical Elphaba - the perceived wicked witch - is made kinder than Galinda).
ReplyDeleteNobody is without judgement - being aware of one's critical tendencies is better than most.
On the subject of whether it is the same as sexism or racism...
ReplyDeleteI think you have a point, it is a little more acceptable to be afraid or disgusted by disfigurement, because it is a much rarer encounter in our lives then that of race or gender. Once it is more common, such as if you know someone with a relative or friend who has a disability or looks different, I have found it then becomes more similar.
No one feels good about their stereotypical tendencies, but I think we learn by generalizations. I have never learned anything without learning the rule that governs it. Math, science, recipes, etc. so it is truly human nature to generalize, and subsequently, create stereotypes. In my opinion :)